What do we do?
Teach about Women brings educators together in-person and online to work for positive change in classrooms. To accomplish our mission, we
- Write books, curriculum & pedagogy guides & show teachers how to use them in their schools.
- Offer our annual Gender Equity Institute, a series of 6 workshops for middle and high school teachers in all subjects to incorporate rich material on gender equity and social justice into their programs.
- Run (In-person) workshops to facilitate collaboration among working teachers who are facing similar issues in their classrooms (Because of Covid-19, we currently only offer workshops online.)
- Create Digital Databases of teaching materials and resources to educate K-12 students to be champions for gender equity
Teach About Women’s Promise
All our materials give students the skills and knowledge they need to be champions for gender equity. To ensure quality and consistency, we hold ourselves to the following standards. All our materials are...
- Does the material require students to think about gender dynamics and their effects on power, in particular, on how women negotiated power within patriarchal societies?
- Does the material encourage students to question and dismantle existing mechanisms of oppression rather than re-creating them?
- Does the material require students to evaluate the effect of overlapping power structures to arrive at a more complete understanding of the diversity of women’s experiences?
- Does the material address the power dynamics that are unfolding in the classroom? (eg. race, class, gender, religion, language, ethnicity)
- Does the material give students tools for understanding relationships/change at a global scale?
- Does the material require students to examine a rich variety of sources, including literary and visual sources, primary and secondary sources, to reach a deeper understanding of the human experience?
- Does the material give students ways to re-evaluate what they think they already know to create new paradigms for understanding the world?
The best teaching demonstrates the dynamism, creativity and dedication for growth necessary for success today. But creativity and growth are nothing without kindness and generosity. We believe in offering professional development based on